Thursday 18 October 2012

Exam

I've just finished an Exam, T325 if you are interested. It is my equivalent of the Olympics and I've now done it, I should be feeling good but I don't.
Part of me feels that some deep part of me is trying to send my conscious self a message but I don't know what part of me or what message. This is roughly in line with my ability to understand other people. I don't know when I became so uncertain or whether it is justified. Is it that over time I have realised how bad my intuition is or is it an innate part of me.
In life, you're given very little education on how to deal with yourself especially if your parents have the same problem. There was no attempt in my education to grow me as a person there was simply the assumption that telling me off would somehow teach me.
There is no use providing a plaster in the form of citizenship class in the hope that people can so the light.
If society problem is that it is producing people who cannot function it should try and understand why but it doesn't. It creates phrases like NEET to describe the results and assumes that the problem is the lack of education or training when that is just a symptom.
What is the point of having schools which fail to educate people on how to live a life but tries to give people qualifications which they do not use? If their current crop of NEETs hadn't been let down by both parents, schools and society in general when it comes to helping them grow in fully functional human beings. If those that were to become NEETs have instead of not being trained to get GCSE but had been trained in life skills and how to understand themselves they may not have any great qualifications at the end but they would be better human beings able to contribute to society none the less, and capable of obtaining education and qualifications later in life.
But as you cannot get an O'level in self-confidence or an A'level in making friends there is not intensive to teach them.
The first and most important lesson schools should teach is how to live life well and be a functional societal human being but that would be difficult to mark, to measure and to test so we use an inappropriate measure and damn people who do not measure up to this even though their major failing is not their lack of long division skills but their lack of people skills.
Ah I hear you say but that is the parent's job, well if they aren't doing it then schools must as a priority above and beyond the 3Rs.

Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
  They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
  And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
  By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
  And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
  It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
  And don't have any kids yourself. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment